4 Jun 2009

Meditation on the A30 -- John Betieman

[1906–1984, English]

A man on his own in a car
    Is revenging himself on his wife;
He open the throttle and bubbles with dottle
    And puffs at his pitiful life

She’s losing her looks very fast,
    She loses her temper all day;
That lorry won’t let me get past,
    This Mini is blocking my way.

“Why can’t you step on it and shift her!
    I can’t go on crawling like this!
At breakfast she said that she wished I was dead-
    Thank heavens we don’t have to kiss.

“I’d like a nice blonde on my knee
    And one who won’t argue or nag.
Who dares to come hooting at me?
    I only give way to a Jag.

“You’re barmy or plastered, I’ll pass you, you bastard-
    I will overtake you. I will!”
As he clenches his pipe, his moment is ripe
    And the corner’s accepting its kill.

Source: Betjeman, J 2006, Collected Poems, Hachette UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment